After three public input meetings and numerous engagements with various stakeholder groups, the public had the first opportunity to view the recommended options for the as-of-yet unfunded redevelopment plan for the Lake Springfield area on Oct. 12, 2023. Lake Springfield was identified as a redevelopment opportunity area during the City’s Forward SGF comprehensive planning process.
More than 300 people interested in the future of Lake Springfield attended the second public engagement meeting at the Lake Springfield Boathouse May 4. About 100 people took advantage of the power plant tours hosted by City Utilities prior to the meeting. Additional tours are planned. Those interested can sign up on the Get Involved page….
Nearly 100 residents turned out for the first Lake Springfield Plan Public Information & Input meeting Nov. 17. The event took place at Springfield Art Museum. Steve Prange, project manager introduced the project team and City of Springfield Senior Planner shared context for the catalyst project. Community engagement specialists Francine Pratt and Cora Scott encouraged…
More than 100 people living near Springfield Lake Park and the James River Power Plant gathered Oct. 12 to learn more about a planning process just getting underway. Steve Prange, with Crawford, Murphy, Tilly (CMT), the consulting firm hired to assist the City with the plan, and City Principal Planner in the department of economic…
After a competitive procurement process, the City of Springfield and City Utilities have selected engineering and consulting firm Crawford, Murphy & Tilly as the consultant for the Lake Springfield Plan. The plan is projected to be complete by summer 2024. “We are excited and proud to be part of this once-in-a-generation opportunity to work with our…
Local Media Coverage
- Lake Springfield Plan envisions $1B transformation of site – SBJ
- Inside the city’s plans for developing Lake Springfield – KSMU
- Dreams in the water: What future lies along the shores of Lake Springfield? – SGF Daily Citizen
- First recommended options for what to do with Lake Springfield area are released at public meeting – KY3
- What’s planned for Lake Springfield? Here’s what to know about the city’s latest plans – News-Leader
- Initial Plans Revealed for Lake Springfield Area – KTTS
- What’s next for Lake Springfield? City wants to hear community ideas for development – News Leader
- The City of Springfield plans to ‘reimagine’ Lake Springfield. You can have input. – KSMU
Case Study: Harnessing opportunity to achieve big impact
As coal plants shutter around the country, the visioning at Lake Springfield joins a growing collection of such projects across the nation.
By tapping into an expanding array of state and federal subsidies, these projects seek to turn these types of structures and the often scenic land around them into potential assets for economic growth.
Learn about the site plan developed in Cleveland called Avon Lake that hopes to redevelop its 131 acres situated at the edge of Lake Erie.